Clinical Alert | New Restrictive Practices requirements
New Restrictive Practices requirements
As of 1st September, legislative changes were made to minimise the use of restrictive practices in residential aged care settings.
Restrictive practices are categorised as chemical, environmental, mechanical, physical restraints, as well as seclusion.
Look out for the developments made by St Basil’s to meet new requirements, including:
- Having a system in place to address restrictive practices
- Updating Leecare to have a separate Behaviour Support Plan tab/item available
- Expanding the education and training on restrictive practices for staff through St Basil’s onsite education and training, informal staff training and support onsite, and Ausmed online.
- Developing a new form and policy
- Providing support by the head office Quality and Care teams to help you meet new obligations
What you need to do next?
To bring your facility up to date with new requirements, there are several responsibilities that need to be actioned starting now, including:
- Identifying all residents with current, existing or new restrictive practices
- Completing the Restrictive Practice Consent and Risk Assessment Forms as well as behaviour support plans, in partnership with specialists such as geriatrician, Nurse Practitioner
- Completing case conferences, in particular how informed consent needs to take place
- Updating PCI to demonstrate that we are actively working on full implementation of Restrictive Practices as per current legislative requirement
What other tools and resources are available?
There are resources available for you to use and reference as best practice guidance when implementing new requirements.
- St Basil’s Consent and Risk Assessment Forms
- St Basil’s Restrictive Practice Policy
- Aged Care Safety and Quality Commission’s scenarios relating to restrictive practice and other materials
- Dementia Support Australia’s resources and guides to assist in addressing restrictive practices requirement such as behaviour support plans
St Basil’s Restrictive Practices Sharepoint files (available only to GMs and CMs):
- Navigation tool for education and meeting support
NAVIGATION GUIDE – Restrictive practices 20092021.pdf
- Foundational session
PK_RESTRICTIVE PRACTICES foundational_30072021.docx
PPT_RESTRICTIVE PRACTICES foundational_30072021.pptx
- Intermediate session
PK_RESTRICTIVE PRACTICES intermediate_30072021.docx
PPT_RESTRICTIVE PRACTICES intermediate_30072021.pptx
Ausmed online learning
- Restrictive Practices in Aged Care
- Alternative strategies to restrictive practices
- Minimising restrictive practices such as restraint
- Minimising restrictive practices such as seclusion
- Behaviour Support Plans
- Restrictive practices under the NDIS
Should you have any questions or need further support reach out to your General Manager.